- 3/4 c. softened butter
- 3/4 c. packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- finely grated rind and juice of 1 1/2 oranges
- 2 c. whole wheat flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 1/3 c. coarsely grated raw butternut squash
- 1 c. raisins
- 1-8 ounce package of cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. finely grated orange rind
- 2 tsp. orange juice
- orange zest to top cake
Cake Batter Method
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- In a medium size bowl, beat together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the grated orange rind and juice. Beat well.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and cinnamon. Add to the butter mixture and stir until moistened.
- Add the squash and raisins to the batter. Mix well.
- Grease a 7-inch springform pan; line the bottom with greased parchment paper. Spoon the batter into the pan; smooth the top of the batter. Place on center rack in the preheated oven; bake for 1 hour. After 1 hour, test the cake to see if it is done by inserting a clean toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove from the pan to let fully cool on a rack.
- Place cream cheese, powdered sugar, orange rind, and orange juice in a small bowl. Beat well until light and fluffy.
- Ice the top of the fully cooled cake. Garnish the center with orange rind.