January 6, 2012

Cranberry Chutney and Baked Brie

The invisible wind violently shakes the windows in their frames, and the trees, with each scrape of their bending bows, threaten to peel off the roof. I scurry about my little home, preheating the oven to bake the brie, zesting an orange and toasting walnuts to make a meal of savory goodness. It is a good night to stay in.
On nights like tonight, when the world seems inky black and foreboding, I imagine that all of the little mice of the world are hiding in their warm little dens, and owls are snuggled together in their tree stumps, and people are at home in front of their fires, sipping good wine, and eating brie with chutney.

Cranberry Chutney
Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1 tsp butter
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
  • 1/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts
  • zest of 1/2 of a large naval orange
  • juice of 1 large naval orange
  • 1/3 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp fennel
  • 1/8 tsp allspice
  • pinch of celery seeds
  • pinch of salt

Method:
  1. In a small sauce pan melt the butter then saute the onion until transparent.
  2. Add all other ingredients to the sauce pan and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Simmer until cranberries burst and a jam-like sauce begins to form.
  3. Serve warm with a small wheel (6 ounces) of brie that has been baked for 15 minutes in a 300f oven.

I enjoyed this with a reasonably priced and super yummy bottle of 337 cabernet sauvignon, which is a nice everyday wine, and toasted walnuts.

Om nom nom!

8 comments:

Baur said...

Lovely blog following :) I'm Italian as well

Renan Roberto said...

very good, I had to use a translator to understand and prepare! hehe thank you

Spiritual Sherpa said...

Great stuff the pic looks so appetizing..my tummy is going hellooo :)))))

Cheers,

Ivan

(karmicsoliloquy.blogspot.com)

Unknown said...

First of all congratulations for your blog being selected as Blog of Note.
I am a student doing a project on Google Products. Can you spare 5 min. and fill this survey form - Click Here
Your feedback will make a lot of difference.
Thanking You

Regards
Aman
(www.amanshares.blogspot.com)

Lori Gomez said...

Simple, elegant & scrumptious looking!
Yum.

Flash Harry said...

Wow! this recipe caught my eye as I had some leftover cranberries after Christmas. This looks like a wonderful solution to my problem of what to do with them.
This is my first visit to your blog, and I love it, the writing, everything.
thanks from Australia
PS It's v hot here in January!

Unknown said...

very good! I found the perfect theme used!
Appartement à louer casablanca


Mon Blog said...

I continue my nocturnal visit with curiosity and pleasure.
Tour da Marrakech a Fes