On nights like tonight, when the world seems inky black and foreboding, I imagine that all of the little mice of the world are hiding in their warm little dens, and owls are snuggled together in their tree stumps, and people are at home in front of their fires, sipping good wine, and eating brie with chutney.
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- zest of 1/2 of a large naval orange
- juice of 1 large naval orange
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp fennel
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- pinch of celery seeds
- pinch of salt
- In a small sauce pan melt the butter then saute the onion until transparent.
- Add all other ingredients to the sauce pan and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Simmer until cranberries burst and a jam-like sauce begins to form.
- Serve warm with a small wheel (6 ounces) of brie that has been baked for 15 minutes in a 300f oven.
I enjoyed this with a reasonably priced and super yummy bottle of 337 cabernet sauvignon, which is a nice everyday wine, and toasted walnuts.
Om nom nom!