January 15, 2012

West Country Apple Cake

Sunday morning sunshine is different from the sunshine of the other days of the week. It is softer and warmer and seems to linger a little longer when streaming through the window onto the kitchen table. This morning I woke before the sun and busied myself in my kitchen, peeling apples, sifting, combining, and stirring. After I had placed my cake in the oven, I watched the sunrise as I walked to the corner store to get the Sunday paper. The cold chill of wintery air forced me to pull my scarf up around my ears and shove my hands deep in my pockets. When I returned, my warm little house was filled with the aroma of baking apples and spices, and the sun was shining at low angles through my windows. It was lovely.

Make some country apple cake, have a good cup of coffee, do the Sunday crossword puzzle, and enjoy the sunshine. It is days like this that make life good, isn't it?


Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3 large apples (use an heirloom variety if you can find them)
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup raisins
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • scant 1/4 tsp each ground allspice, cloves, nutmeg
  • 1 tsp cornstarch

Method
  1. Lightly grease an 8" round cake pan. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350F.
  2. Peel and core the apples. Slice into wedges that are about 1/2" thick.
  3. Sprinkle the apples with the lemon juice; stir to coat the apples.
  4. Add to the apples the raisins, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, nutmeg, and cornstarch. Stir. Set aside.
  5. In a small mixing bowl combine the flour and baking powder. Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter cubes into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
  6. Stir the brown sugar into the flour mixture.
  7. Add the egg and milk to the flour mixture and stir to make a sticky dough. There may be small lumps of butter in the dough, but that is ok. The texture of the dough should be like a veryyy soft, lumpy cookie dough; not like a smooth cake batter. Divide the dough into two equal parts.
  8. Spread half of the dough evenly in the bottom of the cake pan. Cover this bottom layer of dough with the apple mixture. Use the remaining dough to cover the top of the apples. It is ok if there are apples peeking through the top layer of dough. It is often prettier if it isn't perfect!
  9. Place cake in preheated oven. Bake for 55 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean.

Serve warm with whipped cream.

Om nom nom!! :)

5:00

10 comments:

Jewels said...

That's so weird. I just made an apple cake today! Not so complicated as this one, but yummy just the same.

Alessandra said...

That cake's worth a sunday morning! Gosh, it's monday now and you've just put me off going out and doing all I have to do... I'd just like a piece of that cake and a bit of sunshine... Looks like I won't have either, but I'm going to keep the recipe in my favourites: thank you!

Anonymous said...

mrr, it must be tasty : )

Bernardo Gonzalez said...

sound nice with a cup of cofee

Unknown said...

oh that looks good!

Anonymous said...

This is similar to a recipe I use - mine is delicious but tricky and long to bake as it uses oil (and a goodly quantity)and so is quite dense. Yours looks as good, and easier - I think I'll try it.

Unknown said...

Hi Admin .. I am very glad to see your blog. Always for your Success

Unknown said...

Its looking very nice and tasty. I'm gonna try it now. Check my website Luckies for unusual gifts for men. Thanks .. see ya soon

Jessalice said...

That's looks amazing!

Mon Blog said...


Oh genial, I file on the site, it had been a long time since I was not let tempt! thank you!
Tours città imperilai del Marocco